Preparing for Baptism
(Baptism Information Packet)
1. Request for Baptism by expectant parent(s):
Complete a copy of this Baptism Information Packet or pick a Baptism Information Packet from the parish office. Parents of the child being baptized must be registered parishioners of St. Jude. Exceptions may be made for out of town relatives upon request.
2. Baptismal Seminar:
Parents and Godparents or Christian Witness must attend a seminar. These are usually held on the 1st Tuesday of the month. If you have completed a baptismal seminar at St. Jude or another Catholic Church within (5) five years you will not be expected to attend the seminar again. If this applies, a written verification is required.
*Parents and Godparents must call to register for the baptismal seminar, 225-766-2431. Click here for our Baptismal Seminar signup sheets.
Requirements for a parent: At least one parent must be a practicing Catholic that is involved in the parish community as much as possible. If you are not, you are expected to begin doing so as a visible sign of your commitment to the Church and your desire for baptism for your child. Grandparents, adoptive parents or any other relative cannot substitute for this requirement unless they have legal custody of the child (legal documents must be provided).
Requirements for a Godparent or Christian Witness are:
- Catholic - Baptized, Confirmed, Practicing, at least 16 years old, and if married, married by a Catholic Priest or Deacon, in church – (at least one of the Godparents must be Catholic)
- Christian Witness – practicing any other faith – (At least 16 years old)
- Godparent cannot be the parent of child being baptized.
If the godparent is a Baptized, non-confirmed Catholic, not registered or not practicing or a Catholic who is married outside of the Catholic Church may not be a Christian Witness. If a godparent can’t be at the Baptism, a proxy can be used. The proxy will have to meet the same requirements as the Godparent. The proxy’s name will not appear on the Baptismal Certificate.
5. Permission Letter:
A permission letter will be needed if you wish to have your baby baptized in another parish. Please
contact the office to obtain the letter.
6. Baptism Celebration -
Baptism, as a rule is celebrated the (2nd) second Sunday of the month following 11:30 am Mass. See Schedule below.
* All Baptisms at 12:45 PM on Sunday in the Church unless otherwise noted.
* All Seminars at 7:00 PM on Tuesday, Room 124 in the Administration Building.
7. Contact for Questions or Concerns -
Please contact Michaelyn McGinnis, the baptismal coordinator, with any questions or concerns.
Check List of Paperwork to be Returned
***Complete all paperwork before returning it to St. Jude’s Office no later than 1 week prioir to Baptism.***
- Registration Form
- A copy of legal documentation of guardianship
- If parents are not married, a copy of child’s birth certificate must provided
- Sponsor form for each Godparent and/or Christian Witness